*Full-text copies of all but the most recent published papers listed below can be downloaded free at researchgate.net.
PUBLISHED ARTICLES IN PEER REVIEW JOURNALS (updated 1-24-17)
- Shellhammer, D.F., Heasley, V.L., Foster, J.E., Luttrull, J.K., Heasley, G.E.: Addition to 2,4 Dienes. Halogenation of Ethyl Sorbate. J. Org. Chem. 42:2141 (1977).
- Shellhamer, D.F., Heasley, V.L., Foster, J.E., Luttrull, J.K., Heasley, G.E.: Addition to 2,4 Dienes. Ionic and Radical Additions to Ethyl Sorbate. J. Org. Chem. 43:2652 (1978).
- Shellhamer, D.F., Green, R.C., Luttrull, J.K., Seneker, S.D., Potter, M.K., Heasley, V.L., Heasley, G.E.: Ionic and Radical Addition of Chlorine, Bromine, and Some Halogen Systems to Butadiene Monoxide. J. Heterocyclic Chem. 20:229 (1983).
- Jester, J.V., Rife, L., Nii, D., Luttrull, J.K., Wilson, L., Smith, R.E.: In-Vitro Biomicroscopy and Photography of Meibomian Glands in a Rabbit Model of Meibomian Gland Dysfunction. Invest. Ophthalmol., Vol. 22, No.5, 660-7, May 1982.
- Luttrull, J.K., Jester, J.V., Smith, R.E.: The Effect of Radial Keratotomy on Ocular Integrity in an Animal Model. Arch. Ophthalmol., 100:319-20, 1982.
- Shellhamer DF, Green RC, Luttrull J, Seneker SD, Potter MK, Heasely VL, Heasley GE. Ionic and radical addition of chlorine, bromine, and some halogen systems to butadiene monoxide. J of Heterocyclic Chem, Jan 1983. DOI: 10.1002/jhet.5570200147
- Luttrull J.K, Jester J.V., Smith R.E. Radial Keratotomy – Reply. Arch. Ophthalmol,1983; 101(1):134-134.
- Luttrull, J.K., Smith, R.E., Jester, J.V.: Contractility of Avascular Corneal Wound Tissue in Rabbits. Invest. Ophthal. Vol. 26, No.10, Oct. 1985, 1440-1452.
- Freeman, W.R., Chen, A., Henderly, D.E., Levine, A.M., Luttrull, J.K., Urrea, P.T., Arthur, J.B., Rasheed, S., Cohen, J.L., Newberg, D., Leung, R.J.: Prevalence and Significance of Acquired Immunodeficiency Syndrome – Related Retinal Microvasculopathy. Am. J. Ophthalmol. 107:229-235, March, 1989.
- Hallin, E.S., Feldon, S.E., Luttrull, J.K.: Effect of Transantral Orbital Decompression on Optic Neuropathy, Graves’ Ophthalmopathy, Br. J. Ophthalmol. 72:683-687, 1988.
- Luttrull, J.K.: Macular Surgery. Western Journal of Medicine Vol. 157, No. 4, 449-450, 1992.
- Luttrull, J.K., Wan, W.L., Kubak, B., Smith, M.D., Oster, H.A..: Treatment of Ocular Fungal Infections with Oral Fluconazole. Am. J. Ophthalmol. 1995. 119:477-481.
- Luttrull, JK, Chittum ME.: Acute Retinal Pigment Epitheliitis. Am. J. Ophthalmol. 1995. 120:389 – 391.
- Luttrull, J.K., Avery, R. L.: Pars Plana Implant and Vitrectomy for Treatment of Neovascular Glaucoma. RETINA. 1995. 15: 379 -387.
- Luttrull, J.K.: Acute Retinal Pigment Epitheliitis. Am. J. Ophthalmol. 1997.123: 127 – 129.
- Luttrull, J.K.: Epiretinal membrane and traction retinal detachment complicating laser-induced chorioretinal venous anastomosis. Am. J. Ophthalmol. 1997, 123: 698 -699.
- Luttrull JK, Avery RL: Peripheral Transscleral Retinal Diode Laser for Rubeosis Iridis. (Letter) Retina 18: 389, 1998.
- Kim, W.K., McDonald H.R., Rubsamen P.E., Luttrull J.K., Drouilhet J.H., Frambach D.A., Boyer D.S., Lambrou F.H. Jr., Hendrick A., Weiss J.N., Engstrom R.E. Jr., Ing M. Surfing-Related Ocular Injuries. RETINA 18: 424-429, 1998.
- Luttrull JK, Hallisey J: Laser pointer- induced macular injury. Am. J. Ophthalmol. 1999; 127: 95 -96.
- Luttrull JK, Marmor M, Nanda M: Progressive confluent peripapillary multiple evanescent white-dot syndrome. Am. J. Ophthalmol. 1999; 128: 378-380.
- Luttrull JK, Avery RL, Baerveldt G.S, Easley, K.: Initial experience with pneumatically stented pars plana modified Baerveldt implant for treatment of complicated glaucoma. Ophthalmology, 2000; 107:143-150.
- Luttrull JK, Avery RL: “Augmentation of trabeculectomy with perfluoropropane gas: a pilot clinical and experimental study”. (Letter) Ophthalmology, 2000; 107: 224.
- Luttrull JK, Musch MC, Mainster MA: Subthreshold diode micropulse photocoagulation for the treatment of clinically significant diabetic macular edema. Br J Ophthalmol 2005 89:1; 74-80.
- Luttrull JK, Spink CJ: Serial optical coherence tomography of subthreshold diode laser micropulse photocoagulation for diabetic macular edema. Ophthalmic Surgery, Lasers & Imaging, Sept/Oct 2006;37: 370-377.
- Luttrull JK, Dougherty PJ. Reduced stereopsis during vitreous surgery for epiretinal membrane through Rezoom multifocal intraocular lens (letter). J Refract Surg 2007 April; 23 (4) 329-330.
- 2 Luttrull JK, Spink CJ, Musch DA. Subthreshold diode micropulse panretinal photocoagulation for proliferative diabetic retinopathy. Eye, 2008 May; 22 (5): 607 – 12.
- Luttrull JK, Spink CJ. Prolonged choroidal hypofluorescence following verteporfin photodynamic therapy combined with intravitreal triamcinolone acetonide injection. RETINA,2007 Jul-Aug, 27 (6): 688-92.
- Luttrull JK, Spink CJ: Vitrectomy following anti-VEGF therapy for epiretinal membranes coincident with age-related subfoveal neovascularization. . 2008; 39: 455 – 459.
- Luttrull JK, Musch D, Spink CJ: Subthreshold diode micropulse photocoagulation for proliferative diabetic retinopathy. Letter (Reply) Eye. Advance online publication Jan 2009; doi: 10.1038/eye.2008.418
- Luttrull JK, Dougherty PJ, Zhao H, Mainster MA: Concentric ring dysphotopsias in diffractive multifocal pseudophakia. July 27, 2010. Ophthalmic Surgery, Lasers and Imaging. 2010 Sep 29;41 Online. doi: 10.3928/15428877-20100929-11.
- Luttrull JK, Sramek C, Palanker D, Spink CJ, Musch DC. Long-term safety, high-resolution imaging, and tissue temperature modeling of subvisible diode micropulse photocoagulation for retinovascular macular edema. Retina 2012; 32 (2): 375-86.
- Luttrull JK, Dorin G. Subthreshold diode micropulse photocoagulation as invisible retinal phototherapy for diabetic macular edema. A review. Current Diabetes Reviews, 2012, 8, 274-284.
- Luttrull JK, Spink CJ. Pars plana vitrectomy with multiple transvenous chorioretinotomies for macular edema due to retinal vein occlusion. Ophthalmic Surg Lasers Imaging Retina. 2013 Jul 1;44(4):366-73.
- Luttrull JK, Sinclair SD. Safety of transfoveal subthreshold diode micropulse laser for intra-foveal diabetic macular edema in eyes with good visual acuity. Retina, May 2014 Oct; 34 (10): 2010-20.
- Luttrull JK, Chang DB, Margolis BWL, Dorin G, Luttrull DK. Laser re-sensitization of medically unresponsive neovascular age-related macular degeneration: Efficacy and implications. Retina 2015 Jun; 35(6): 1184-1194.
- Kozak I, Luttrull JK. Modern Retinal Laser Therapy. Saudi J Ophthalmol 2015 Apr-Jun; 29 (2) 137-46.
- Luttrull JK. Chronic serous macular detachments and visual disturbance complicating consecutive cases of symptomatic vitreomacular adhesion with macular hole treated with ocriplasmin. OSLI Retina, 2015; 46: 976-978.
- Luttrull JK, Margolis BWL. Functionally guided retinal protective therapy as prophylaxis for age-related and inherited retinal degenerations. A pilot study. Invest Ophthalmol Vis Sci. 2016 Jan 1;5 7(1):265-75. doi: 10.1167/iovs.15-18163
- Luttrull JK. Low-intensity / high-density subthreshold diode micropulse laser (SDM) for central serous chorioretinopathy. Retina. 2016 Sep; 36 (9):1658-63
- Chhablani J, Roh YJ, Jobling AI, Fletcher EL, Lek JJ, Bansal P, Guymer R, Luttrull JK. Restorative retinal laser therapy: Present state and future directions. Surv. Ophthalmol 2017 Oct 4. pii: S0039-6257(17)30166-2. doi: 10.1016/j.survophthal.2017.09.008. [Epub ahead of print] Review. PMID: 28987614
- Jhingan M, Goud A, Peguda HK, Tyagi M, Luttrull JK, Chhablani J. Subthreshold microsecond laser for proliferative diabetic retinopathy: a randomized pilot study. Clin Ophthalmol October 2017 (in press).
- Luttrull JK. Improved retinal and visual function following subthreshold diode micropulse laser (SDM) for retinitis pigmentosa. Eye (London), December 18, 2017 (in press).
1. Luttrull JK: Subthreshold retinal photocoagulation for diabetic retinopathy. In Retinal and Vitreoretinal Diseases and Surgery, Boyd S, Cortez R, Sabates N eds. ISBN: 98-9962-678-23-6. Jaypee- Highlighlights Medical Publishers, Inc, Panama Rep. of Panama. 2010.
2. Dorin G, Luttrull JK, Samples JR. Laser alteration of collector channel ostia. Pivotal paradigm shift from photocoagulation to photostimulation. Glaucoma Research and Clinical Advances: 2016 to 2018. Knepper and Samples, Eds. Kugler Pub. Jan 1, 2016, Amsterdam, Netherlands. ISBN: 9789062992478
3. Luttrull JK, Samples JR, Kent D, Lum BJ. Subthreshold diode micropulse laser (SDM) as neuroprotective therapy in open angle glaucoma.Glaucoma Research and Clinical Advances: 2018. Knepper and Samples, Eds. Kugler Pub. In press.
OTHER PUBLICATIONS (as invited author):
1. Luttrull, JK. “Shangricago”. Guest editorial. Ojai Valley News June 1, 2005.
2. Luttrull, JK. Atraumatic photocoagulation for retinovascular disease. Case studies of micropulsed 810 nm diode laser photocoagulation in the management of diabetic retinopathy. Retinal Physician, 2005;2: 65-87.
3. Luttrull, JK. Is effective retinal photocoagulation without laser-induced damage possible? Retina Today, Winter 2006-07; 22-25.
4. Luttrull JK. Update on treatment of branch retinal vein occlusion. Subthreshold diode micropulse photocoagulation. Retina Today, August 2011.
5. Luttrull JK. Invisible retinal laser phototherapy for retinal vascular disease. Cataract and Refractive Surgery Today / Europe. Feb 2012: 70 – 72.
6. Luttrull JK. Long-term safety of subvisible diode laser for diabetic macular edema. Ocular Surgery News. Feb 2012.
7. Luttrull JK. Subthreshold diode micropulse laser for diabetic macular edema: Welcome to invisible retinal phototherapy! Ophthalmology Times Europe, June, 2013.
8. Luttrull JK. Perspective on Visible Light Therapy as Prophylaxis Against DR. Retinal Physician, March 2014, pg16-18.
9. Luttrull JK. The journey to functionally guided retinal protective therapy for age-related and inherited retinal degenerations. Retina Today, October, 2015.
INSTUCTIONAL COURSES TAUGHT:
1. Sinclair S, Luttrull JK, Cardillo J. Subthreshold diode micropulse photocoagulation for diabetic macular edema. American Society of Retina Specialists annual meeting August 2011, Boston, MA, USA.
2. Luttrull JK, Sinclair SD, Midena E. Instructors in clinical course, American Society of Retina Specialists annual meeting, Toronto, Canada, August 27, 2013.
3. Keunen J, Luttrull JK, Chong V, Midena E, Boon C. Clinical instructors for course in Subthreshold diode micropulse laser for diabetic macular edema. European Society of Retina Specialist annual meeting, Hamburg, Germany, Sept 27, 2013.
4. Keunen J, Luttrull JK, Chong V, Midena E, Boon C. Clinical instructors for course in Subthreshold diode micropulse laser for diabetic macular edema. European Society of Retina Specialist annual meeting, London, England, Sept 12, 2014.
5. Keunen J, Luttrull JK, Chong V, Midena E, Boon C. Clinical instructors for course in Subthreshold diode micropulse laser for diabetic macular edema. European Society of Retina Specialist annual meeting, Euretina, Nice, France, September 14, 2015.
6. Luttrull JK. Retinal protective therapy for chronic progressive retinopathies. Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology Annual Meeting, Retinal restorative treatment Special Interest Group. Presenter and panelist, Seattle, May 4, 2016
7. Luttrull JK. Subthreshold diode micropulse laser treatment. Instructor, European School for Advanced Studies in Ophthalmology, Rome, Italy, February 15, 2016.
8. Luttrull JK. Subthreshold diode micropulse laser (SDM) as retinal protective therapy for non age-related retinal degenerations. Free paper; Annual Meeting of the American Society of Retina Specialists, San Francisco, August 14, 2016.
9. Luttrull JK, Keunen J, Midena E. Instructors in course on: Subthreshold retinal laser treatment. European Retina Society annual meeting Euretina, September 2016.
10. Keunen J, Pilotto E, Chong V, Luttrull JK. Subthreshold laser for retinal diseases: concepts and future directions. Annual meeting of the European Society of Retina Specialists (Euretina) 2017; Instructional course Sept 10, Barcelona, Spain.
1. US Pat. No. 5,830,173. Avery RL, Luttrull JK: Intraocular drug delivery device. Filed August 1, 1997.
2. US Pat. No. 5,725,493.Avery RL, Luttrull JK: Intraocular drug delivery device. December 12, 1994.
3. US Pat. No. 6,251,090 B1.Avery RL, Luttrull JK: Intraocular drug delivery device. November 2, 1998.
4. US Patent . 14/607,959. Luttrull JK, Margolis BWL, Chang DB. Filed January 28, 2015. Issued September 4, 2015. Process for restoring responsiveness to medication in tissue of living organisms.
5. US Pat No. 9308018. Awarded April 12, 2016. Micro vitreoretinal blades.
6. U.S. Patent Application No. 13/481,124 Luttrull JK, Margolis BWL, Chang DB. Entitled: SYSTEM AND PROCESS FOR RETINAL PHOTOTHERAPY. Filed May 12, 2012. Issued May 26, 2016.
7. U.S. Patent Application No. 14/921, 890 Luttrull JK, Margolis BWL, Chang DB. Entitled: SUBTHRESHOLD MICROPULSE LASER PROPHYLACTIC TREATMENT FOR CHRONIC PROGRESSIVE RETINAL DISEASES. Filed: October 23, 2015. Issued May 27, 2016.
8. U.S. Patent 2016/0082294 A1. Pulsating electromagnetic and ultrasound for stimulating targeted heat shock proteins to achieve tissue repair. Issued March 24, 2016.
9. U.S. Patent No. 9,427,602. Pulsating electromagnetic and ultrasound for stimulating targeted heat shock proteins for achieve retinal repair. Filed Oct 26, 2015; issued August 30, 2016.
Avery RL, Luttrull JK: Intraocular drug delivery device (above): To Second Sight, Inc. 2007; to Alcon / Novartis (“Replenish” device) September 2011.
1. President, CEO, Regalo Extra Virgin Olive Oil, Inc., Ojai, CA.
2. President, CMO, EyEngineering Inc. Ojai, CA.
3. President, Partner, Ojai Retinal Technology, LLC.
1. Surgical instrumentation.
2. Retinal laser.
IRIDEX Corp., Mountain View, California (10/11 – 6/12)
CURRENT RESEARCH ACTIVITIES:
1. Intraocular drug delivery.
2. Treatment of complicated glaucoma employing trans-pars plana drainage tube implants.
3. Retinal laser.
4. Vitreous surgery.
PARTICIPATION IN CLINICAL TRIALS
1. Regeneron Pharmaceuticals, Inc., A Randomized Double Masked, Active Controlled Phase III Study of the Efficacy, Safety, and Tolerability or Repeated Doses of Intravitreal VEGF Trap in Subjects with Neovascular Age-Related Macular Degeneration, VGFT-OD-0605 (VIEW 1)
2. Genentech Pharmaceuticals, Inc., A phase III, Double-Masked, Multicenter, Randomized, Sham Injection -Controlled Study of the Efficacy and Safety of Ranibizumab injection in Subjects with Clinically Significant Macular Edema with Center Involvement Secondary to Diabetes Mellitus (RISE)-Protocol FVF4170G
SCIENTIFIC REVIEWER, PEER REVIEW JOURNALS:
PLOS One, Ophthalmology, Eye, British Journal of Ophthalmology, American Journal of Ophthalmology, Graefe’s Archive of Clinical and Experimental Ophthalmology, RETINA, Translational Vision Science and Technology, Investigative Ophthalmology and Visual Science, Ophthalmic Lasers, Surgery and Imaging, Ocular Pharmacology, Expert Review of Medical Devices, Acta Ophthalmologica, Advances in Therapy, others.
SCIENTIFIC GRANT REVIEWER:
Research Associates, Point Loma Nazarene University.
Diabetes UK/UK National Health Service.