HONORS AND AWARDS:
- National Eye Institute Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology Travel Fellowship, 1982
- Intercollegiate Soccer Varsity Letter 1976-78, Point Loma College; Jr Varsity 1975 University of California Santa Barbara
- “Lillian and Henry Nesburn Award for Research
Excellence”, 1985. Annual award competition for
residents of Los Angeles ophthalmology training programs.
- LA County/USC Department of Ophthalmology “Senior Resident of the Year, 1986” (Semi-Annual teaching award presented by the Department of Ophthalmology junior residents)
- President’s Award, Point Loma College. Alumni award for support of undergraduate sciences.
- Scientific reviewer – ophthalmic peer review journals.
- Alumnus Award, Point Loma Nazarene University, 2007.
- Honor Award, American Society of Retinal Specialists, 2012.
- Founder, Executive Director LIGHT: The International Retinal Laser Society. 2014-
- Knighted, Sovereign Military Hospitaller Order of Saint John of Jerusalem of Rhodes and of Malta, 2015
- Plenary Speaker, International Society of Laser Safety and American Laser Institute, Atlanta, Georgia, March 2017
- Plenary Speaker, European Society of Retina Specialists Annual Meeting (Euretina) “Amsterdam Retinal Debate”, Barcelona, Spain; September 2017.
- California: State License #G50280 2/88 –
- Oregon: State License #14711 Active 6/86 –
- Florida: State Florida #ME 152425 Active 8/17/21 –
- Arizona: State License #644521 Active 10/15/21-
- Utah: State License #12521318-1205 Active 11/2/21 –
- Texas: State License # T9443 Active 8/19/22 –
- National Board of Medical Examiners Parts I, II and III.
Passed; completed 1983.
- American Board of Ophthalmology,
Lifetime certification October 1988.
SOCIETY MEMBERSHIPS / OTHER ACTIVITIES:
- California Medical Association
- American Medical Association
- Ventura County Medical Society
- Member, Board of Directors, Retinitis Pigmentosa Foundation International, Ventura County Chapter, 1989
- California Association of Ophthalmology, 1983 – 1997, 2007
- Association for Research in Vision and Ophthalmology,
1982, 1984, 1994
- Fellow, American Academy of Ophthalmology,
- Research Associates of Point Loma College,
1978 – present
- Member, Board of Directors, Research Associates
of Point Loma College, 1985 – 1990
- Chairman, Board of Directors, Research Associates of Point Loma College, 1988 – 1989
- Member, American Diabetes Association, 1988 to 1995.
- Member, Western Retina Study Club, 1989 to present.
- Member, Ventura County Ophthalmology Society
1989 to present
- Founder and President, Ventura County Ophthalmology Society, 1989 – 1990
- Advisor, California Medical Association
- Scientific Advisory Panel on Ophthalmology, 1990 -1994
- Delegate,Leadership Conference, American Academy of
Ophthalmology, Atlanta, October 1990
- Member, Santa Barbara Medical Society, 1993- 1996
- Member, Santa Barbara Eye Society 1993-1996
- Member, Board of Directors, American Diabetes Association, Ventura County Chapter, 1993
- Member, Surgery Committee, St. John’s Regional Medical Center 1994-98
- Founder and Secretary, Board of Directors, Coastal Counties Eye Care Medical Group, Inc. (Regional Specialty IPA) 1994-2001.
- Assistant Vice-President for Ophthalmology Practice and Managed Care, California Association of Ophthalmology, 1995 – 1997.
- Member, Humanitarians, Catholic Healthcare West / St. Johns Regional Medical Center Foundation, 1996 – present.
- Co-founder and Secretary, Board of Directors, Premier Management Services, Inc. Management Services Organization.1998 – 2001
- Member, International Trumpet Guild. 1998 – Current
- President and Chairman of Board of Directors, Coastal Counties Medical Specialists Medical Group, Inc. 2001 – 2004.
- Member, American Society of Retinal Specialists. 2003 – Current
- Founder, COO, Chairman BOD of RegaloExtra Virgin Olive Oil, Inc. Charitable agriculture business.
- Member, Board of Directors, Hearts of Fire Project
- Member, Faculty Research Review Board, Point Loma Nazarene University
- Founder and Executive Director, LIGHT: The International Retinal Laser Society. 2014-
- Member, BOD, LIGHT 2014-
- Chairman, BOD, LIGHT 2014-2017
- Faculty, European School for Advanced Study in Ophthalmology (ESAO) 2015
- HOSPITAL AFFILIATIONS:
- Ventura Community Memorial Hospital
Ventura, California. Courtesy. 1988 – 2017
- St. John’s Regional Medical Center
Oxnard, California. – Courtesy 1988 – current
- Cottage Hospital, Santa Barbara, California – Consulting 1993-2000
- Ventura County Medical Center – Courtesy 1988-2006.